ED CBR: Issues and Answers Webinar
Join expert speaker Duane Abbey, where he’ll :
- Review the levels and types of services in the ED.
- Update changes in APCs affecting ED services and billing.
- Discuss the both technical and professional component claims generation for ED services.
- Understand E/M level coding and relationship to the EMTALA mandated MSE (Medical Screening Examination)
- Appreciate surgical services and the associated coding and billing for such services.
- Appreciate the need for special ED coding and billing policies and procedures.
- Work through a series of exercises that illustrates the difficulties in coding and billing for ED services.
- Address special issues such as Type B EDs under Medicare and special use of non-physician practitioners for Critical Access Hospitals.
I. Overview of ED Services
a. Emergency Care Including Trauma Services
b. Urgent Care
c. Clinical Services Provided in the ED
II. EMTALA Considerations
a. MSE – Medical Screening Examination
b. Stabilization and Transfer Rules
c. Recent Updates
d. Coding and Billing Issues
III. APCs and ED Services
a. “-25” and “-59” Modifiers
b. Multiple Encounters on Same Day
c. Interface to Observation Services
IV. Documentation Systems and Processes in the ED
a. Check-Off Systems
b. Dictated Notes
c. Handwritten Flow Sheets
V. E/M Coding in the ED
a. Physician E/M Coding
b. Hospital E/M Coding
c. Case Studies
VI. Surgical Coding and Billing for the ED
b. Fracture Care
c. Burn Care
d. Injections and Infusion Therapy
e. Case Studies
VII. Special ED Coding and Billing Situations
a. Correlating Physician and Hospital Coding
b. Use of Non-Physician Practitioners in the ED
c. Fast Track Services
d. Observation Services
e. Medicare Type B Emergency Departments
f. Special Considerations for Critical Access Hospitals
VIII. The Future of ED Coding and Billing Under APCs