Eliminate the Frustration of Budget Planning and Number
There’s no getting around the fact that budgets are an essential piece of your
organization’s financial stability and success. And no matter how bad we want
it, they won’t go away. This workshop is specifically designed to show you when
the process of budgeting should start, what you need to begin, and what
information you must have.
Building Budgeting Skills is the perfect one-day
workshop for getting the hands-on skills you need to create sound, functional
budgets with ease and less stress. You’ll learn how to simplify the entire
process and make your budget an easy-to-use tool that will help you make better
decisions all year long.
You’ll leave this workshop with a complete toolbox of
budgeting skills, including:
- How to ensure your budget accomplishes what you want
- Troubleshooting techniques that help you avoid midyear
- Techniques for building a budget that gets approved – every
- Checklists, worksheets, formulas, and a glossary of budget
- And so much more!
You’ll walk away with the skills you need to create,
implement, and monitor budgets of any kind. You’ll be more confident when it
comes to managing the financial aspects of your job, and you’ll have a far
greater impact on your organization’s financial success.
Master the “Foreign” Language of Budgeting with Ease
Have you ever gone to the “financial people” of your organization with a budget
issue and left with more questions than you came with? You’re not alone.
Understanding the terms and practices behind budgeting is a daunting task. This
workshop is led by a financial expert who presents real-world information in a
fun, dynamic, practical style using language you can understand! Plus, you’ll
leave with a glossary of budgeting terms you can use time and again!
Boost Your Retention and Confidence with Hands-on Practice
If attending a workshop on budgeting sounds as interesting as creating a budget,
then you’re in for a real surprise! This isn’t your standard run-of-the-mill
lecture. You’ll get hands-on practice with real-world exercises for creating
budgets – in a comfortable learning atmosphere. Most importantly, your
instructor is there to give you one-on-one feedback and assistance. You’ll leave
with the solid, practiced, and perfected skills of creating and implementing any
budget. Don’t forget your calculator!
Building Budgeting Skills is an Investment You Can’t
Afford to Miss
Budgets are essential to every organization – that’s why understanding and
implementing effective budgets is so important. Your days of crossing your
fingers and hoping you come in under budget are gone. Building Budgeting
Skills puts you in full control of your department and your organization’s
financial success. Don’t wait until you’re in crisis mode – enroll today!
What You´ll Learn:
12 Immediate Benefits of Attending Building Budgeting
- Improve your ability to accurately project expenses.
- Build a budget that glides through approval channels
without a hitch.
- Discover steps for measuring actual progress against your
- Get back on track if you’ve wandered off course.
- Justify expenditures using the right logic and language.
- Learn critical responses that address and arrest budget
- Discover prebudgeting troubleshooting techniques that help
you avoid ugly midyear glitches.
- Learn which type of budget you need and how to ensure it
covers all the bases.
- Develop the ability to forecast profits that might go
- Long run vs. short run: Learn what you need to know about
both before you budget.
- Learn which items MUST be figured into your budget, whether
it’s from scratch or a pre-approved format.
- Take home checklists, worksheets, and formulas that would
take years to collect on your own.
Who Should Attend?
Whether you’re developing a budget or implementing one,
learning the proven techniques in this workshop will make all the difference in
the strength and success of your budget … and your career.
So, if you’re a …
- Business owner
- Committee chairperson
- Department head
- Purchasing decision maker
- Key player on any budgeted team
… this workshop is perfect for you!
The What and Why of Budgeting
- The 10 key benefits of good budgeting
- 5 essential elements of planning any viable budget
- Know your organization’s budget “philosophy” and how to
shape your budget accordingly.
- The budget preparation phase: step-by-step illustrations
you’ll use for years
- Monitoring the approved budget: Do more than just “live
with it”… succeed with it!
Administering a Budget
- The income statement: What does it tell you about the past
… the future? Learn how it can pinpoint organizational weaknesses.
- The balance sheet budget: A thermometer you’ll use to take
the “success temperature” of your department or organization.
- The capital expenditure budget: Just how practical are your
plans for expansion, research and development, new personnel?
- The cash budget: Will cash really flow as expected?
- Spot the key problems and opportunities every budgeting
Essential Budgeting Tools
- Unit-cost budgeting: ideal for operations- oriented
- Fixed-cost budgeting: the tool budget- builders reach for
- Review the methods available to address your unique
- Zero-based budgeting: essential for justifying proposed
expenditures from the ground up
Building the Budget
- Recognize the proper elements for capitalization.
- Examine capital expenditure requests.
- Discover 3 important ways to economically evaluate capital
- Learn how to budget and control general and administrative
- Develop unit indicators for budget preparation and control.
- Identify overhead and determine proper allocation methods.
- “Cash” vs. “accrual” accounting – two sides of the same
- Take the all-important first step following approval of
- Use a basic accounting technology to properly compare cash
inflow and outflow.
- Avoid 3 typical pitfalls in consistently applying
accounting principles to your budget.
- Are the alleged variances within your control? The right
perspective will make the difference.
- Learn where to look first for variance factors hardest to
- Know when and how your budget is warning you of outside
- Get tips on how to respond to requests for variance
Monitoring the Budget
- Understand the difference between fixed and variable costs
using a simple but effective illustration.
- Some costs simply can’t be controlled – recognize them and
budget accurately in spite of them.
- Uncover indirect costs no matter how well they are hidden.
- Learn and use the unit-cost concept immediately and
- Establish and track monthly targets within your annual
Analyzing Budget “Types”
- The sales budget: forecasting sales, preparing projections,
analyzing budget responsibility and reports
- How to prepare a production budget
- How to prepare a manufacturing budget including: budgeting
for raw materials, direct labor and overhead
- How to plan and prepare a research and development budget
- Budgeting terms made simple: a glossary of words you’ll use
again and again