Handle These Cases With The Sensitivity and Skill They Require
As a trusted advisor to your clients, you are relied upon to confidently guide them through emotionally difficult situations, like divorces and custody disputes. It´s not easy, but it can be very rewarding as long as you have the knowledge and skills necessary to navigate the rough waters of family law. In order to succeed, you need a good foundation in the law itself, combined with a solid understanding of how the process works. Offering calm, level-headed advice and support are the hallmarks of effective representation – and we can get you the skills you need to handle these cases smoothly.
Our speakers have faced these same challenges and have distilled their experience into this day-long seminar. Keep your advice current with a review of recent case law and legislative updates. Lead your client knowledgeably through the preliminaries during a divorce proceeding with an in-depth understanding of the process from initial client contact through the pretrial conference. Set the stage for a favorable outcome with our effective custody, visitation and support strategies. Determine when mediation would be best for a client´s situation, and know what options are out there. Don´t wait to hone your skills.
• Conducting thorough initial interviews and get the information you need.
• Draft detailed separation agreements and straightforward divorce pleadings.
• Tackle tricky custody issues – like visitation when both parties stipulate.
• Gather financial information, identify assets and establish value so you can fairly divide property.
• Calculate the most favorable support agreement possible with our detailed methods.
• Lead your clients through the pros and cons of mediation, so they can make informed decisions.
- FAMILY LAW UPDATE
Randall M. Kessler, 9:00 - 10:00
- Recent Cases
- Legislative Update
- Recent Trends in Family Law
- HANDLING THE DIVORCE CASE
Amy L. Kaye, 10:15 - 11:45
- Initial Client Contact
- Conducting Initial Client Interviews
- Arranging Attorney Fees and/or Retainer Agreements
- Putting It on Paper
- Drafting Separation Agreements
- Drafting Initial Divorce Pleadings
- Discovery and Division of Assets
- Gathering Financial Information
- Identifying the Assets
- Establishing Value
- The Division of Property
- Managing the Pretrial Conference
- CHILD CUSTODY, VISITATION AND SUPPORT ISSUES
Randall M. Kessler and Sharon L. Rowen, 12:45 - 2:15
- Initial Steps in a Contested Custody matter
- Handling Custody and Visitation When Both Parties Stipulate
- The Role of the Guardian ad Litem
- Calculating the Child Support Payment
- How and When to File and Order of Support
- Enforcement of Custody and Support Agreements
- ETHICAL ISSUES FOR THE FAMILY LAW ATTORNEY
Amy L. Kaye, 2:30 - 3:30
- Keeping It All Business: The Lawyer-Client Relationship
- Holding Your Tongue: Confidentiality
- Getting the Client: Attorney Marketing
Sharon L. Rowen, 3:30 - 4:30
- Determining When It Is Your Best Option
- Choosing the Right Mediator
- Preparing Your Client
- Identifying the Issues