THE ESSENTIALS OF CRYSTAL REPORTS®
In this seminar
- How to take advantage of the full power of Crystal Reports by creating reports from scratch, and maintain total control over the look and feel of your reports
- How to quickly apply style templates to your reports
that'll take them from drab to dazzling
- How to use the built-in report wizards to create amazing reports with just a few mouse clicks
- How to export your report as a Word document, Excel® spreadsheet, HTML page or one of several other file types
- And much more
Businesses both large and small have at least one thing in common—and
that's data. Running effectively means that data has to work hard for you—and
that's where this incredible workshop comes in. In The Essentials of Crystal Reports, we teach you the steps for making your data "go to work"—and you
don't have to be an expert in databases to use it. You'll learn to create reports that run the gamut—from complex reports containing huge amounts of information to simple reports that distill your information down to a single easy-to-understand summary. Stop being at the mercy of your IT
department's schedule when you need a report. Once you harness the business-reporting power Crystal Reports can supply, generating reports yourself is a whole lot easier!
Seminar Training Hours: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Session 1: Getting started with Crystal Reports
Crystal Reports is one of today's most versatile reporting programs on the market. It provides the necessary tools to integrate raw data from database applications into useful, business-friendly reports. This session will highlight Crystal Reports´ capacity to illustrate relationships for analysis and interpretation, leading to successful business decisions.
You'll also learn ...
- What Crystal Reports can do for you—the different reports you can create
What's new and different with today's Crystal Reports
- Step-by-step instructions for installation: What you need to know to install the tools you want
- How to get a handle on the Crystal Reports user interface and how to customize it to meet your needs
- Why there are different report design environments and the importance of each
Session 2: Data connectivity: Selecting your database for seamless Crystal Reports integration
Before you can begin to create a customized report, you must first be able to access your data, and
that's what this session is all about. You'll discover how to connect to virtually any kind of database to get the information you need.
You'll also discover how to use the Database Expert to create data connections to not only existing databases but also to Excel files, text files and much more. In this session,
you'll learn ...
- What a relational database is versus a flat database—uncover the advantage of being able to join tables based on related data
- Understand the different types of data sources that Crystal Reports can utilize
- Step-by-step directions for connecting to common data sources such as Access, SQL Server®, Excel and many more
- What to do when Crystal Reports
doesn't properly link your tables and it's up to you to create links manually
- What a View is and how to use one as the foundation for your report
Session 3: Creating different reports to display the information you need
This session will give you the opportunity to explore the various Wizards and then move right into using the Blank Report for more versatility.
You'll look at the different sections of a report and learn to group, sort and summarize your data for valuable output.
You'll discover ...
- How to use the different Report Wizards and what they can do for you
- How to create a report from scratch and the added benefits of doing so
- How to use the Record Sort Expert for customizing the order of your records
- Group Expert: The importance of grouping and how to use it productively
- How to create a summary report and other options for including summary information in your detailed reports
Session 4: Using formatting to create a professional and effective report
The layout and design of data can greatly impact the effectiveness of a report. This session will guide you through templates and numerous customization tools to get the look and feel you want for the professional report you need. You´ll learn ...
- How to modify the page orientation and margins of your report to adapt to the information you wish to display
- How to quickly apply templates and the trick you can use if you
don't get the look you expected
- Step-by-step directions to manipulate background colors to emphasize important data
- How to snap objects into place using grids and guidelines for a consistent and professional appearance
- The best methods to jazz up your reports by adding images, text boxes and other useful objects
- How to use the Highlighting Expert to apply conditional formatting that will allow you to dynamically format objects based on the criteria you select
Session 5: Using the power of Crystal Reports: Hyperlinks, parameters, charts and formulas
Taking Crystal Reports to the next step of customization and efficiency is what this session is all about.
You'll use the Format Editor, Parameter Field, Chart Expert and Formula Workshop to take that advanced step needed to create complex or specialized reports. In this session,
you'll learn how to ...
- Use hyperlinks to link to Internet Web sites, e-mail addresses and files on your computer or network
- Take advantage of the Formula Editor to create, edit and check formulas easily
- Develop conditional formulas that involve "If ... Then ... Else" statements for better control of your information
- Insert a chart into your report to graphically represent summarized data
- Integrate Flash® files into your report to add an even greater level of professionalism, and wow those who view your reports
Session 6: Exporting and publishing your reports for easy access
you've created reports, it's time to get that information out to the people who need it. Crystal Reports offers many options for file exportation and publishing.
You'll discover how to export reports to various formats and the value that each adds to your reports.
You'll find out ...
- How to export your report in different formats, and why page-based versus record-based formatting is important to understand
it's vital to export to a Crystal Report format based on the functionality you wish to maintain
- How to publish your report to your
company's Web server for Internet or intranet access
- Important considerations you need to know when exporting your report using the HTML format
- What format you should select if you plan on sending your report to others
For our United States and Canadian customers ...
IACET: Each workshop qualifies for contact hours in accordance with guidelines set forth by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training...Authorized Provider number 3307. You must attend the entire program to qualify for CEUs. Many national, state and local licensing boards and professional organizations will grant Continuing Education credit for attendance at our workshops (save your Certificate of Attendance). You may want to contact your own board or organization to find out
NASBA: SkillPath/CompuMaster is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be addressed to the
National Registry of CPE Sponsors, 150 Fourth Avenue North, Nashville, TN, 37219-2417. Web Site: www.nasba.org
Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) are responsible for enrolling in CPE programs that will enable them to maintain and enhance their professional competence. They are also responsible for meeting the CPE
requirements of their state boards, applicable government entities, and
professional or other organizations.
CPE Credits: 6
Seminar Check-In: 8:15AM Seminar Program: 9:00AM - 4:00PM