Sum up the Year's Changes in Family Law Practice in One Fact-Packed Day
Don't spend hours poring over legislature newsletters and court dockets – let our distinguished faculty find the diamonds in the rough for you and offer their interpretation of the new changes' impact on your everyday practice. Get all the information you need in one insightful day of learning. Register today!
- Use the latest information to achieve the best custody arrangement for children and parents.
- Enrich your knowledge base with clear definition of “under duress” and its interpretation in recent nuptial agreement disputes.
- Provide families with relevant advice by understanding how their nontraditional status impacts their adoption rights.
- Gain tips to maximize the use of forensic accountants and track down hidden assets.
- Don't let dishonest spouses get off the hook of paying alimony: find out what the courts have ruled on the subject of voluntary impoverishment.
- Clarify what personal injury awards, annuities and trusts count as earning capacity for the purposes of support obligations.
- Find new and effective ways of using mediation to promote favorable settlements.
- Gain expert tips for dealing with pro se parties in the courtroom.
- Keep an eye on the laws to come with a quick snapshot of pending legislation and case law.
Divorce Procedural Updates
9:00 - 10:00, Cathy R. Cook
- Selecting the Proper Forum (Which Court Should Address the Issue?)
- Subject Matter Jurisdiction
- Rules and Mandatory Forms of Pleading
- Discovery, Document Production and Testimony
- Exemption of Confidential Information From Public Record
- Response and Post-Petition Issues
- Forum Non Conveniens Motions
- Pre-and Post-Nuptial Agreements
- Choice of Law
- Defining “Under Duress”
- Spouses' Parents: Estate Planning Considerations
Equitable Assets Distribution
10:15 - 11:15, Nancy Dameron-Frazier
- Bankruptcy Update
- Mortgage (Support or Property? Refinancing)
- Family Business: Determining Ownership Interests and Greater Dependency
- Duty to Disclose “Ordinary Course of Business Transactions”
- Workers' Compensation and Benefits: Marital or Separate Property?
- Interim Distributions During Dissolution Actions
- Joint vs. Separate Property: Other Issues
- Tax Court Update: Taxpayer Filing Status, Deductions, Exemptions and Credits
Child Custody Arrangements/Parenting Plans
11:15 - 12:15, Alfred W. Schneble III
- Determining Habitual Residence – the “Settled Intent” Approach
- The Uniform Child Abduction Prevention Act
- The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA)
- Indian Child Welfare Act
- Damages Related to Parental Kidnapping
- Military Deployment of the Custodial Parent
- Joint Custody
- Summer Parenting
- Who Pays for the Custody Evaluation?
1:15 - 2:15, Randal S. Bloch
- Original Award
- Annuities and Trusts – Earning Capacity?
- Personal Injury Awards – Are They Income?
- Effect of Retirement Assets (Cliff-Vesting)
- Tracing Assets
- Additional Support for the Child's Extracurricular Activities?
- Judgment Set-Asides
- Dealing With Voluntary Impoverishment (Payer Spouse is Dodging Higher Support Obligations)
- Modification of Contractual Support
- Interest on Support
- Effect of Real Estate Depreciation on Support Calculations
- Child Support After Majority
- Does the Re-Marriage of the Payee Terminate Support Obligation?
- Spousal Support: Baseline for Reaching Self-Support After Divorce
2:30 - 3:30, Gregory L. Adams
- Arbitration Process
- Focus: Goal vs. Process
- Mediating Fiscal Matters
- Non-Attorney Mediators
- Court-Ordered Mediation
- The Weight of Mediation Agreements in the Legal Proceedings
- Collaborative Law Update
3:30 - 4:30, Cathy R. Cook
- Going Up Against Pro Se Parties
- Attorney Fees, Costs, Sanctions
- Surname Changes
- Death and Divorce – When Ex-Spouse is the Beneficiary
- Companion Pet Protection Orders
- Parentage by Estoppel
- What to do With Accidentally Divulged Privileged Information
- Assisted Reproduction Issues
- Contested Trials
- Adoptions (Parental Consent, Termination of Parental Rights, International Adoptions)
- Domestic Abuse
- May a Minor File a Petition for a Domestic Violence Protective Order?
- Terminating the Lease in Cases of Domestic Violence
- Non-Traditional Families
- The Rights of Unmarried Fathers
- Evolution in the Legal Definition of Marriage
- Cohabitation and Domestic Partnerships