Training Course Syllabus:
Oddities and Challenges of Trusts
Get the Latest Information on the Trust Techniques that Work
From missing trust documents, to warring beneficiaries, to plain old outlandish grantor conditions, trust practice is often varied and unpredictable. Go beyond simple drafting procedures to explore the strange, the bizarre and the outrageous of the trusts practice and pick up useful tips for drafting, managing and modifying trusts along the way. Register today!
- Get the latest tax-saving and creditor protection techniques for drafting trusts.
- Ensure accurate beneficiary designations and resolve trust distribution disputes.
- Plan out and facilitate precise execution of unique trust provisions.
- Get troubleshooting tips for complying with complex and involved investment rules governing trusts.
- Maintain your professional reputation with real-life ethical guidance from seasoned attorneys.
- Correct past drafting mistakes and update trusts to ensure flexibility.
- Learn litigation tactics to contest the trust's validity.
- Tax Saving and Gifting Tactics
9:00 - 9:45 Julia L. Santullano
- Federal and State Tax Regimes
- Gifting Goals, Techniques and Limitations
- Gift Splitting
- Crummey Provision Problems
- Intentionally Defective Grantor Trusts under IRS Scrutiny
- The Uncertain Future of Self-Settled Trusts
- Beneficiary Issues
9:45 - 10:15, Michael H. Erde
- Beneficiary Designations
- Minors and Disabled as Beneficiaries
- Periodic Distributions
- Making Changes and Correcting Trust Mistakes
10:30 - 11:15, Michael H. Erde
- Key Trust Mistakes and Their Likely Consequences
- Locating Original Trust Documents
- Spotting Red Flags when Reviewing Existing Trust Documents
- Changing Grantor Circumstance and Inflexible Trust Language -What to Do?
- Adapting to the New Tax Regulations
- Implementing the Changes
- Rare and Unique Trust Provisions
11:15 - 12:00, Julia L. Santullano
- Protecting Unique Assets
- Pet Trusts and Other Unusual Beneficiaries
- Clarifying Unique Provisions with the Court
- Common and Rare Conditional Provisions
- Trust Asset Management Hurdles
1:00 - 1:45, Kevin J. Webb
- Investment Rules
- Financial Reporting
- Fiduciary Liability
- Trust Protectors
- Protection from Creditors
1:45 - 2:30, Michael L. Overmann
- Spendthrift Trusts
- Asset Protection Trusts
- Avoiding Fraudulent Transfers
- IRA Trusts
- Illustrated Legal Ethics
2:45 - 3:45, Michael L. Overmann
- Conflicts of Interest
- Attorney-Client Relationship
- Dealing with Interested Third Parties
- Additional Duties of Attorneys Acting as Fiduciaries
- Litigation Tactics to Overturn a Trust
3:45 - 4:30, Kerry R. Peck
- Undue Influence
- Lack of Testamentary Capacity
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty
- Doctrine of Election