Training Course Syllabus:
Make Certain Your Clients' Long Term Care Needs Are Met
The requirements for Medicaid eligibility are strict, and protective planning is tricky. How does your understanding of Medicaid planning stack up? Join us at this focused seminar to get the answers you need about this complex area of practice. Register today!
- Determine which assets are countable and how they can be converted.
- Learn what the income eligibility requirements are.
- Establish exactly what limitations are placed on asset transfers.
- Protect your clients' interests by knowing what's exempt and what's not.
- Deepen your knowledge of transfer penalty provisions.
- Learn to effectively use trusts to plan for Medicaid without interfering with the overall estate plan.
- THE LOOKBACK PERIOD AND QUALIFYING ASSET TRANSFERS RULE
9:00 - 10:30, Joshua C.P. Reams
- The Lookback Rule
- Intrafamily Loans
- Marital Deductions and Exceptions
- Reverse Half-Loaf with Medicaid-Compliant Annuity - Is it Still a Valid Approach?
- Transferring Real Property
- ASSET CONVERSION FROM NON-EXEMPT TO EXEMPT
10:45 - 12:00, Joshua C.P. Reams
- Loan Repayment
- Exempt Asset Purchases
- Other Asset Conversion Techniques
- IRREVOCABLE TRUSTS IN MEDICAID PLANNING
1:00 - 2:15, Kara M. Gleckler
- LEGAL ETHICS
2:30 - 3:30, Joshua C.P. Reams and Matthew Wolfe
- Attorney Fees and Engagement Agreements
- Effective and Ethical Client Communication
- Protecting Client Confidentiality
- Conflicts of Interest When Representing Couples
- PENALTY PERIOD FOR IMPROPER TRANSFERS
3:30 - 4:30, Matthew Wolfe
- Calculating the Penalty Period
- Preventing the Penalty Period
- Handling Unexpected Income to Protect Eligibility
- Partial Months of Ineligibility
- Monthly Maintenance Need Allowance (MMMNA) for Community Spouse