Training Course Syllabus:
Social Security Disability Cases from Start to Finish
Start Your Social Security Disability Practice Here
Get the foundational knowledge you'll need to effectively pursue Social Security disability claims! Our experienced faculty will provide you with a practical walkthrough - from a practical examination of the laws and definitions to client intake, claim evaluation, electronic filing procedures and the hearing process. You will also learn how to effectively deal with fee complications and find out how disability benefits will impact a client's receipt of Medicaid, workers' comp and other benefits. Pick up both practical how-to's and creative tips so you can successfully and confidently represent Social Security claimants. Register today!
- Understand key definitions and examine the guidelines for proving various disabilities.
- Learn what initial questions you need to ask clients to get the case started on the right foot.
- Discover what necessary information needs to be gathered and learn hard-won tips for dealing with weaknesses in the case.
- Find out what to expect from the hearing process and gain essential strategies for briefs, exhibits, cross-examinations and more.
All times are shown in Eastern time
- Key Definitions and Nuts and Bolts of Handling an SSDI Case
10:00 - 11:15, Amanda Pirt Meyer
- Key Terms and Concepts: SSI vs. SSDI, Defining "Disability" and More
- Navigating the Roadmaps: DOT, HALLEX, FIT, POMS
- Evaluation of Permanent Impairment
- Guidelines for Proving Mental Impairment
- Review of Forms Needed Throughout the Application Process
- Procedures for Filing Electronically
- Client Interview and Intake Forms (with Sample)
- Red Flags in Initial Interview and Claim Evaluation
- Discovery in SSDI Cases
11:30 - 12:30, Anne C. Hartwig
- Different Types of Evidence and Documentation That Can be Used
- Family Medical History
- Personal Medical History
- Employment History and Earnings Record
- Gathering Information From Medical Experts
- Best Practices for Handling Weaknesses in Evidence
- Hearing Preparation, Procedures and Strategies
1:00 - 2:00, Anne C. Hartwig
- Step-by-Step: What to Expect From the Hearing Process
- How to Brief a Case Prior to Hearing
- Exhibit Strategies
- Examination of the Claimant
- Tips for Cross-Examining Vocational Experts
- Cross-Examining the Medical Examiner
- Applying Social Security Rulings and State Agency Opinions to Your Case
- How Disability Benefits Impact a Client's Receipt of Medicaid, Workers' Comp and Other Benefits
2:00 - 2:45, Grayson Smith Cannon
- Dealing with Fee Complications
3:00 - 4:00, Grayson Smith Cannon
- Dealing with SSA and ALJ's Processing Fee Requests/Awards
- Expediting Fee Approvals and Payment
- EAJA Fee and Client Fee in District Court
- Handling U.S. Attorney Demand to Reduce EAJA Fees Requested
- Is Billing Paralegal and Admin Worker Time on Fee Petitions Allowed?
- Fees for Separate Applications When First Denial is Remanded by Court
4:00 - 5:00, Amanda Pirt Meyer
- Addressing Client Misconduct
- Guidelines for Representing Clients with Special Needs
- Protecting Client Confidentiality
- Handling Unfavorable Evidence
Agendas and Speakers may differ slightly depending on the location. Please
e-mail or call
a representative to obtain an agenda for a particular location.