Training Course Syllabus:
Trouble-Shooting Medicaid Practice
The area of government benefits is in constant flux – are you up to the task of educating and providing clients with all the financial and medical assistance that´s available? This authoritative session will provide you with much needed answers to the complex questions on Medicaid eligibility, asset transfers and preservation and how to adapt your practice to change. Let our distinguished faculty be your guides through the maze of government regulations and financial strategies and lead you to the highest level of mastery – enroll today!
- Learn how the DRA and changes in the law affect asset preservation and gain practical tips for working effectively within the new legislative framework.
- Help clients qualify for federal assistance programs and still remain financially stable: know when and how to classify the resource as an asset or income.
- Battle the stigma of government assistance by tactfully educating your clients on their options.
- Discuss the effectiveness of various trusts as Medicaid qualifiers and refine the use of the most successful ones.
- Help clients live out their lives comfortably: understand the interplay of various assistance programs.
- Spot and avoid mistakes that may cause the beneficiary to lose government benefits.
- Gain practical examples of the must-have provisions to include in special needs trusts.
- What happens when the client´s income changes after Medicaid approval? Gain strategies for preserving the government benefits and re-applications for assistance.
- Utilize the expertise of your colleagues and address the most pressing issues of everyday practice in the course of an engaging discussion.
Medicaid Eligibility Requirements, Benefits and Application Process for the Elderly and Disabled
8:30 - 9:45 Michelle G. Burras and Kay P. Motley
- Application Process (How to Apply and When to Apply)
- Overview of Medicaid programs
- Eligibility criteria
- Income limits
- Reserve limits
- Coverage of programs
- Spousal allowances for income and assets
- LTC Medicaid
The Medicaid Review Process and Pitfalls to Avoid
10:00 - 11:00 Michelle G. Burras and Kay P. Motley
- Recertification Process
- Changes in Situation
- Medicaid Fraud
- Medicaid Appeals
Asset Transfer Strategies
11:00 - 12:30 V. Tate Davis
- Planning for Home Maintenance Costs
- Transferring Real Property Without Jeopardizing Medicaid Eligibility (When Does the Home Become a Countable Asset? How Is “Intent to Return Home” Interpreted?)
- Self-Settled Trusts and Their Impact on Qualification (Different Types of Trusts, When the Grantor Is the Trustee, Charitable Remainder Trusts, Other Issues Impacting Qualification)
- Treatment of Annuities
- Special Needs Trust/Pooled Trust Exceptions to the Transfer
- The Importance of Timely Planning
- Avoiding Transfer Penalty for Unauthorized Transfers
- Advanced Tax Planning Techniques
Protecting Assets Under the Deficit Reduction Act
1:30 - 2:45 Andrew Olsen
- State Implementation and Interpretation of the DRA
- Higher Income Applicants
- Fair Market Value
- Protecting the Effort and Resources of Relative Caregivers
- Protecting Dependents
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Other Techniques
Special Needs Trusts – Creation, Taxation and Administration
3:00 - 4:00 Andrew Olsen
A Look to the Future: A Roundtable Discussion on Adapting Your Practice to the Ever-Changing Environment
4:00 - 4:40 V. Tate Davis and Andrew Olsen
- Prospective Payment Systems
- Prescriptions and the Recent Modifications by Congress to Privatize the Issue
- The Impact of the Baby Boomers´ Retirement