Training Course Syllabus:
Gain Practical Tips for Resolving UM/UIM Claims
Join us for an in-depth analysis of the more difficult aspects of UM/UIM practice from both sides of the table. The panel discussion will include case studies on difficult policy interpretation, and practical tips for drafting briefs and negotiating settlements. Find out how your colleagues approach these challenges and enhance your practice. Register today!
- Clarify the choice of law tactics when the collision happens out of state.
- Sort through the complex web of policy language interpretation to clarify what coverage is available.
- Utilize all resolution methods at your disposal: find out when to mediate, settle or go to trial.
- Gain useful strategies for handling the liability limits offer.
- Maintain your impeccable reputation with tips for guarding against legal malpractice.
Choice of Law Issues From Both Sides of the Table
9:00 - 10:15, Matthew J. Devoti
- Which State's Law Applies?
- Which UIM Statute Applies?
- Statute of Limitations
- Current Developments and Case Law Update
Researching the Issues of Coverage
10:30 - 11:45, Matthew J. Devoti
- Sources of Coverage
- What Triggers Coverage?
- Exhaustion and Set-Off
- The Limits of Available Coverage
- Reducing Clauses
- No-Fault vs. Intentional Act
12:45 - 1:45, Steven Aroesty
- Avoiding Conflicts of Interest When Representing Multiple Parties
- Guarding Against Malpractice
- Preserving Attorney-Client Privilege
Strategies for Handling the Liability Limits Offer
2:00 - 3:15, John F. Cooney
Mediating/Settling a UM/UIM Claim
3:15 - 4:30, John F. Cooney
- Defining “Legally Entitled to Recover”
- Preparation and Preservation of Claims
- Successful Motions and Pleadings
- Addressing Punitive Damages
- Liens and Subrogation Claims Strategies
- Determining Priority
- Insurer's Duty of Disclosure to the Insured
- Bad Faith in UM/UIM
- What to do With Pre-Judgment Interest, Costs and Attorneys' Fees
- Tips for Improving Your Negotiations Success