Your Guide to Using Technology in Expanding Your Legal Expertise
The attorney's search for more efficient and accurate methods of self-education and legal research is the pursuit of perfection - perpetually in progress. Are you using all the tools at your disposal to save time and get the information you're looking for? Join your colleagues in an engaging discussion of the latest challenges and opportunities evolving technology presents in legal research and law practice management. Stay on the cutting edge of your practice with tips from experienced attorney faculty. Register today!
- Find new paid and free sources of online litigation research information.
- Learn more about the recent trend toward natural search engines among major legal research providers.
- Effectively find and verify primary law online to power up your case.
- Learn about the most reliable sources of non-legal information for your legal cases.
- Make certain the information you gather is verified, properly cited and, if needed, admissible.
- Avoid time wasters and simple mistakes that can derail your search efforts.
- Evaluate the myriad sources of practice tips, legal news and legislative tracking to choose the ones that best fit your learning and working style.
- Website internal search engines/boxes - best friends or worst enemies? Find out here.
- Get practical tips for managing your mobile law office - safely and easily transfer data between your mobile electronic devices.
- Get organized - walk through the key elements of well-structured research and help yourself and your legal team work in unison for greater results.
- STAYING CURRENT ON UPCOMING LAWS AND PRACTICE-SPECIFIC NEWS
9:00 - 10:00, Lisa Smith-Butler
- Keeping Track of the Latest Legal Technology
- Monitoring Client Market Trends
- Peer Attorney Practice Tips
- Local and Online Networking
- Following Recent and Pending Legislation
- Practice-Specific and Issue-Specific Content News
- Tracking Significant Court Cases and Rulings and Their Potential Effect on Your Practice
- Scanning Legislation and Case Law in Other States to Uncover Potential Trends
- LOCATING COMPANIES FOR DUE DILIGENCE AND BACKGROUND INFORMATION
10:15 - 11:15, Brock Collins
- Company Web Sites
- Directories for Private, Public and Foreign Companies
- Stock Quotes - Current and Historical
- SEC Filings
- State Corporate Records/Registered Agents and Fictitious Business Names
- News and Information About Companies, Products and Executives
- Information From Government Agencies Regulating Companies
- CASE-SPECIFIC RESEARCH
11:15 - 12:15, Deborah McGovern
- Primary Law (Court Decisions, Statutes, Regulations, Rules) Online
- Sample Forms - Free or Low-Cost Online Briefs, Motions, Easements, Agreements, Divorce Petitions, etc.
- Finding Non-Legal Information for Your Legal Case
- Property Searches
- People Searches
- Other Paid and Free Online Litigation Resources
- Using Investigators
- Utilizing Local College Campuses and Libraries as a Resource
- ADVANCED ONLINE LEGAL RESEARCH SKILLS
1:15 - 2:15, Deborah McGovern
- Practical Tips for Searching Within a Site (Common Site Architecture Formulas)
- Understanding and Mitigating the Shortfalls of Search Engines
- Useful Shortcuts
- 7 Simple Mistakes That can Kill Your Online Search
- Top Time Wasters in Online Searches
- Choosing and Utilizing Paid and Free Online Legal Research Engines (WestlawNext, LexisNexis, BNA, Google Scholar, Fastcase, etc.)
- Recent and Upcoming Trends in Legal Research Provider Market
- Choosing the Provider to Fit Your Research Style
- AUTHENTICATING AND ORGANIZING THE SEARCH RESULTS FOR COURT USE
2:30 - 3:30, Lisa Smith-Butler
- Tips for More Efficient Case Review
- Determining Relevance and Verifying Primacy
- Organizing the Information for Use in the Case
- How to Not Reinvent the Wheel - Saving Your Search Results for Future Use
- Ensuring Admissibility
- LOCATING PERSONS AND FINDING BACKGROUND INFORMATION
3:30 - 4:30, Brock Collins
- Phone Numbers and Addresses of Missing People
- Social Security Numbers
- Neighbors, Relatives and Associates
- Mailing List Postings, Blogs, Etc.
- Attorneys, Judges and Experts