Keep or Bring the Borderline Estate Under the Exemption Limit
Clear-cut school-book probate cases do happen but most estates are administered on the brink of the federal estate tax exemption. Do you know how to make certain the estate falls on the right side of the new tax limit? In this focused course, expert attorney faculty will walk you through the estate administration process and offer their tips and techniques for preserving, transferring and allocating assets to minimize taxable estate. When every stray dollar may jeopardize the estate's tax exemption, make sure you have all the legal tools at your disposal – register today!
- Prepare your practice for the return of the federal estate tax.
- Death is not the end of estate planning – explore time-tested and new approaches to post-mortem transfers and planning.
- Get a procedural refresher and review important deadlines to move the administration along smoothly.
- Fine-tune your trust administration and termination skills.
- Protect your ethical reputation: don't let your team members inadvertently slip into unauthorized practice of law.
- Explore the most beneficial asset allocation methods and get tips for filing the decedent's tax returns.
- Review the rules and logistics of final accounting and distributions.
- Distinguish between the priorities in first and second death estate administration and employ the most effective techniques in either case.
- Get specific tips on post-death planning for the generation-skipping transfer tax.
- Organize and document the sale of decedent's property to the estate's greatest advantage.
- General Administration Procedure and Timeline Update
8:30 - 9:25, Richard V. Gilpin
- Probate Court Procedure
- Filing Process Step-by-Step
- Important Forms
- Important Deadlines
- Collecting All the Pertinent Information and Creating the Administration Plan
- Marshalling, Valuing and Disposing of Assets and Debts
9:25 - 10:20, Richard V. Gilpin
- Practical Estate Inventory
- Managing the Sale of Real Estate and Other Property
- Wrapping Up Retirement Plans, IRAs and Life Insurance
- Handling Creditors' Claims and Other Claims Against the Estate
- Insolvent Estates: Special Strategies and Considerations
- Trust Administration and Termination Tips for Borderline Estates
10:35 - 11:30, Frank J. Schmidt
- Periodic Distributions
- General Investment Tactics
- Determining Apportionment of Income
- Trust Expenses
- What to do When a Trust Performs too Well
- Using Trust Protector and Trust Advisers
- Terminating the Trust
- Taxation Challenges When Each Dollar Counts
11:30 - 12:25, Frank J. Schmidt
- Estate Tax Law Update
- Important Deadlines
- Asset Allocation to Keep the Estate Within the Exemption Limit
- Income and Deductions in Respect of a Decedent (IRD)
- Filing Final Tax Returns – Gift, Estate and Income
- Deferred Payment of Federal Estate Tax
- Filing a Joint Return With the Surviving Spouse
- Post-Mortem Planning and Transfers for Borderline Estates
1:25 - 2:20, Nichole Y. Wren
- Gifting Tactics
- Post-Mortem Elections
- Ensuring Surviving Spouse's Access to Assets
- Transferring Interest in a Closely-Held Business
- Fiduciary Compensation
2:20 - 3:20, Nichole Y. Wren
- Who is Your Client? – Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
- Protecting Privileged Information
- Setting and Collecting Attorneys' Fees
- Keeping the Client Appraised of the Progress
- Attorneys Serving as Fiduciaries
- Guarding the Line Between Legal Support and Unauthorized Practice of Law
- Closing the Borderline Estate
3:35 - 4:25, Norman S. Newmark
- Paying Final Expenses
- What to Include in the Final Accounting
- Securing Final Releases From Beneficiaries
- Handling Final Distributions
- Second Death Estate Administration Tactics and Exemption Portability Update
4:25 - 4:40, Norman S. Newmark