The Best Tools and Techniques for Maintaining a Successful Practice
Telecommuting, cloud computing and virtual law firms are just a few signs of the times. Technology is developing so rapidly that it can become a full-time job just to keep up with all the latest LT tools. Gain the experience of years' worth of trial and error with this concise guide to managing your legal practice. Find out what types of software and organizational techniques will turn your firm into a lean, mean legal machine. Eliminate time wasters and expense sinkholes – register today!
- Get real-life instruction on what it takes to run a successful legal practice, complete with practical tips from seasoned practitioners.
- Volunteer your services only when you intend to – tighten your billing and collections practices with prudent tips from the pros.
- Choose the right tools for the job – get an objective review of current legal technology solutions to make sure they help – not hinder – productivity.
- Manage and inspire your legal team with clear direction and tactful oversight.
- Guard against unauthorized practice of law – find out what tasks cannot be delegated.
- Get practical tips for nurturing the 20% of your client base that generate 80% of your cashflow.
- Decide whether going paperless is a viable and wise choice for your firm and how to do it right.
- Get clear guidance on ethically compliant ways of marketing your services.
- Manage the firm's record-keeping and tax compliance practices to reduce the risk of suits and sanctions.
- Find out what makes an effective and low-maintenance law firm website.
- Is it a Want or A Need? Becoming a Profitable Law Firm
9:00 - 9:45, David W. Favor and Cheryl J. Leone
- The Cost of Doing Business with Law Firms
- Controlling Costs through the Wants and Needs Philosophy
- Financial Trending
- The 1000 Yard Stare at Finances
- The Daily View
- Rethinking HR Costs and how to Control
- The Technology Trap
- Understanding Burden Rates and Return on Investments
- From Planning to Profitability
- Integrated Marketing: The New Way to Market Law Firms
9:45 - 10:30, David W. Favor and Cheryl J. Leone
- What is Integrated Marketing?
- Saving Marketing Dollars through Marketing Consistency
- Traditional Marketing in Today's Law Firms
- Social Media Strategy Explained
- Marketing on a Shoe String
- Becoming a 360 Marketing Solutions Firm
- Going Paperless - Baby Steps vs. Cold Turkey?
10:45 - 12:00, Jeffrey D. Patton
- Cost/Benefit Analysis of Switching
- Preparing for the Transition (Planning the New Workflow, Equipment to get Started, Preparing Your Team for the Switch, etc.)
- Converting Paper Documents into Digital Format
- Data Storage and Organization
- Prioritizing Data by Long-Term Storage and Immediate Use Needs
- Is Cloud Computing for You? Are You Already Using it?
- Complying with Record Retention Laws
- Data Security
- Potential Loopholes and Pitfalls
- Safe Practices for You and Your Staff
- Anti-Theft and Data Retrieval Software for Laptops, E-Book Readers and Smartphones
- Organization of Work
1:00 - 1:40, Stephanie Elliot-Park
- Supervision and Task Delegation (Specific Tasks Appropriate to Delegate, Monitoring and Feedback, Empowering Employees to do Their Best Work)
- E-Mail Volume Management
- Challenges (Workflow Interruption, Data Storage and Retrieval, Data Sharing etc.)
- Solutions (Specialized Folder, Rules, Other Useful Practices)
- Eliminating Expensive Time Wasters
- Making Meetings More Productive
- Effective Case Management
1:40 - 2:15, Stephanie Elliot-Park
- Case File Maintenance – What to Shred, What to Keep
- Court Forms and Electronic Filing
- Finding the Latest Version of the Right Type of Form
- Common Completion and Filing Blunders
- Preventing Calendaring Mistakes
- Confirming Successful Court E-Filing
2:30 - 3:30, E. Clarke Dummit
- Duty of Zealous Representation vs. Legal Costs Management
- Unauthorized Practice of Law Prevention
- Clarifying the Start of the Attorney-Client Relationship When Communicating via Firm Website
- Advertising Legal Services Ethically
- Choosing and Using the Legal Technology That's Right for You*
3:30 - 4:30, David A. Gomez
- What Options Exist:
- For Online Legal Research
- For Document Management
- For Case Management
- For Litigation Support
- For Time Tracking and Billing
- Practical Tips for Software/Vendor Shopping
- Primary Tasks Important for You to Accomplish
- The Vendor's Primary Clients (Are They Similar to You?)
- Ease of Installation and Integration – User Training
- Maintenance, Upgrades, Customer Service
- Tips for Painlessly and Beneficially Switching Vendors
- Open Source Software – Pros and Cons
*The legal technology vendor options discussed in this topic are intended as a general overview and do not constitute NBI's endorsement or recommendation of any one specific LT provider.