An Attorney's Guide Through Personal Injury Cases - From A to Z
Whether you are a new attorney or are new to the personal injury practice, this course is full of valuable information to help you through your next case. Let our experienced faculty walk you through the procedures of a personal injury case from the initial intake through trial. Gain valuable insight on critical steps, including: damage calculations, examination of insurance coverage; filing and discovery procedures, the basics of liens and subrogation and much more! Don't miss this chance to build your skills in personal injury litigation - register today!
- Discuss effective ways to outline your litigation strategy during the initial meeting with your client.
- Learn how to evaluate and calculate damages in personal injury.
- Review ways to obtain insurance information and successfully negotiate with the insurance adjuster.
- Explore the basics of liens and subrogation in personal injury cases.
- Discuss the essential elements of filing your case and the importance of preserving evidence.
- Analyze which experts are best to consult to substantiate your case.
- Learn how to prepare for and successfully navigate through a personal injury trial.
- Conducting Thorough Client Intake and Pre-Suit Investigation
9:00 - 9:45, Daniel E. Rosner
- Case Screening Essentials
- Building the Case Through the Questionnaire
- Conducting an Effective Client Interview
- What You can Find Out Before the Claim
- Obtaining Medical Records and Bills
- Basic Medical Knowledge for Personal Injury Attorneys
- Investigation Fundamentals - Developing the Facts
- Calculating Damages in Personal Injury
9:45 - 10:30, Daniel E. Rosner
- Evaluating and Allocating Damages
- Medical Bills and Other Expenses
- Lost Wages/Earning Capacity
- Pain and Suffering
- Loss of Consortium
- Evidence of Damages
- Reviewing Insurance, Negotiating with the Insurance Adjuster and Demand Packages
10:45 - 11:30, Alexa D'Amato Barrera
- Obtaining Insurance Information and Finding Coverage
- Collateral Source Rule
- Determining Priority and Negotiating the Value
- Demand Packages
- Tips for Negotiating with the Adjuster
- Settlement and Releases
- Liens in Personal Injury: A How-to Guide
11:30 - 12:15, Darren C. Audino
- Basics of Liens and Subrogation
- Collecting and Negotiating
- Hospital Liens
- Medicaid Liens: How-to's and Pointers
- Medicare Lien Process
- Establishing a Medicare Set-Aside
- Essentials for Managing ERISA Liens
- Workers' Compensation Liens: Procedures, Reduction and Resolution
- Initial Filing and Discovery Tips in Personal Injury
1:15 - 1:50, Alexa D'Amato Barrera
- Key Procedural Requirements
- Filing and Case Scheduling
- Pretrial Motions
- The Basics of Discovery
- Evidence Preservation
- Using Experts to Prove Your Case
1:50 - 2:35, John M. Cinti
- When do You Need Experts?
- Selecting and Qualifying Experts
- Deposing and Defending Depositions
- Trying a Personal Injury Case
2:50 - 3:30, Daniel E. Rosner
- Jury Selection
- Creating Powerful Opening and Closing Statements
- Presentation of Evidence
- Arguing Damages
- Direct and Cross Examination
3:30 - 4:30, John M. Cinti
- Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
- Attorney Fees
- Obligations to Clients
- Upholding Client Confidentiality
- Rules of Professional Conduct