Local Government Law: What Attorneys Need to Know - Government Law Seminar
Adeptly Handle Governmental Legal Matters
Are you up to speed on local government law? Examine the disputes and challenges municipalities are currently faced with and listen as experienced faculty share their strategies and techniques for dealing with them. Get the information you need to prevent and resolve government problems – register today!
- Stay up to date on newly developing cases and legal issues in government law.
- Ensure compliance with public records access and retention laws.
- When do open meeting laws apply? Find out what situations and email communications constitute a public meeting.
- Explore ways to prevent and resolve public contract disputes and bidding protests.
- Avoid employment disputes: know what personnel policies municipalities should and shouldn't have.
- Examine the ethical considerations involved in public disclosure of government actions.
- Know how to successfully address boundary, variance and public right-of-way complaints.
- Prevent zoning conflicts between incorporated municipalities and other government bodies.
- Discuss code enforcement options for foreclosed properties.
WEATHERING THE FINANCIAL CRISIS
9:00 - 10:00, William J. Fazioli
- The Effect of Tax Caps on Local Governments
- Municipal Bonds and Public Finance Liability: Steps to Take Before Default
- Bond Default Procedure Under Chapter 9
OPEN MEETING LAWS
10:00 - 10:45, Anthony DeSisto
- Overview of the Law and to Whom it Applies
- Required Content of Meeting Notices
- Exceptions to the Rule
- Email Communications
11:00 - 12:00, Anthony DeSisto
- Privileged vs. Public Communications
- Conflicts of Interest
- Whistle Blowing: Duty to Report?
- Representing Clients After Public Service
PUBLIC RECORDS ISSUES
1:00 - 2:00, John O. Mancini
- The Public's Right to Access Records – and Exceptions to the Rule
- The Law Regarding Retention, Maintenance and Disposing of Public Records
- Issues With Electronic Records Retention
- Developing a Public Records Policy
HUMAN RESOURCES ISSUES
2:15 - 3:30, William J. Conley
- New Developments in Employment Law
- Conducting Successful Employee Investigations
- Protecting Your Employees' Privacy Rights
- Improving Your Personnel Policies
PUBLIC CONTRACTS AND PROCUREMENT
3:30 - 4:30, John O. Mancini
- Bidding Requirements and Processes
- Procedures for Payment
- Bid Protest Procedures
- How to Prevent Common Contract Disputes
- How to Resolve Common Contract Disputes