A Comprehensive Look at Estate Planning Procedures
Are you well-versed in the nuts and bolts of estate planning? Join our experienced faculty as they guide you through how to effectively navigate through the client intake and screening process, review basic wills and trusts, explore tax basics and their impact on the client. Don't miss this chance to build your estate planning skills and protect your client's interests - register today!
- Learn what important questions to ask and what documents you need to gather during the initial client meeting.
- Explore ways to determine which type of will can best serve the client's needs.
- Review the pros and cons of revocable and irrevocable trusts to determine the best option.
- Discuss how to effectively plan for taxes while setting up an estate plan.
- Client Intake and Screening: Gathering Important Information
9:00 - 10:00, Written by Lila Jenneane Musegades.
Presented by Lila Jenneane Musegades in Coeur d'Alene and Steven F. Scanlin in Boise.
- Assessing Current and Future Assets and Debts
- Reviewing Existing Estate Plans
- Info Gathering Forms and Checklists
- Determining Your Overall Estate Plan Strategy
- Effective Wills: Addressing Key Aspects of the Estate
10:00 - 11:00, Written by Erika B. Grubbs.
Presented by Erika B. Grubbs in Coeur d'Alene and Steven F. Scanlin in Boise.
- Establishing Statutory Framework
- Types of Wills: Determining the Right Option
- Verifying and Documenting Testator's Competency
- Classifying Fiduciary Duties and Powers
- Determining Beneficiary Designations and Distributions
- Titling Assets
- Sample Will Provisions
- Updating/Modifying Will Documents
- Trusts: Types, Functions and Goals
11:15 - 12:15, Written by Lila Jenneane Musegades.
Presented by Lila Jenneane Musegades in Coeur d'Alene and Stephen H. Telford in Boise.
- Laws Governing Trust Formation and Administration
- Choosing the Type of Trust to Achieve Your Client's Goals
- Revocable vs. Irrevocable
- Determining the Main Parties and Their Duties and Responsibilities
- Confirming Which Court has Jurisdiction Over the Trust
- Trust Funding Basics
- Taxes : Handling the Basics
1:15 - 2:30, Written by Shirley Bade.
Presented by Shirley Bade in Coeur d'Alene and Stephen H. Telford in Boise.
- Tax Update and Overview
- Valuation of Assets of the Decedent
- Taxable Estate and Deductions
- Taxation and Tax Consequences of Trusts
- Planning for the Final Income Tax Return
- Simple Tips for Minimizing Tax Burden
- Working with the Personal Representative or Trust Officer
2:45 - 3:30, Written by Mark T. Peters Sr.
Presented by Shirley Bade in Coeur d'Alene and Mark T. Peters Sr. in Boise.
- Helping Clients Choose a Fiduciary
- Understanding the Powers and Duties of the Fiduciary
- Communicating with the Personal Representative
- Using a Trust Protector or Adviser
- Fiduciary Liability Considerations
- Ethical Considerations in Estate Planning
3:30 - 4:30, Written by Mark T. Peters Sr. and Stephen F. Smith.
Presented by Stephen F. Smith in Coeur d'Alene and Mark T. Peters Sr. in Boise.
- Identifying Who Your Client Is
- Advising Clients with Failing Mental Capacity
- Lawyers Acting as Fiduciaries
- How to Efficiently Provide Estate Status Updates for Clients
- Practicing Before the IRS
- Getting Paid: Billable/Non-Billable Hour and Retainer Agreements
- Preventing Unauthorized Practice of Law by Legal Staff
Agendas and Speakers may differ slightly depending on the location. Please
e-mail or call
a representative to obtain an agenda for a particular location.